Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPBCteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
myPBCteam asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA
March 24, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members opened up about how their loved ones reacted to their PBC diagnosis, with many describing feelings of fear, confusion, and a... Read more

Members opened up about how their loved ones reacted to their PBC diagnosis, with many describing feelings of fear, confusion, and a frustrating lack of understanding from those closest to them. Several members shared that family and friends struggled to grasp the invisible nature of the disease, often dismissing symptoms with comments like "you don't look sick," while a few fortunate members found deep support from spouses, siblings, or nurse relatives who helped them navigate the diagnosis and treatment journey. A recurring theme was the emotional isolation many feel when loved ones cannot fully comprehend the severity of PBC, leading members to lean heavily on this community as their true source of understanding, solidarity, and hope.

A myPBCteam Member

I don’t think my family really understands, I guess I too am still trying to understand this diagnosis so I will take it one day at a time and try to learn as much as possible. I’m afraid for my future and how this disease will progress but can’t really talk to my family members as I don’t want to worry them. My husband has been supportive but he has his health issues so I try not to burden him with how I’m feeling.
I’m truly thankful for this group.

March 31, 2025
A myPBCteam Member

Mine don't seem to understand it. Even my husband sometimes. Just this morning I was feeling weak/dizzy/unstable--hubby tried to tell me to eat something. That just doesn't work like it does for feeling that way for other reasons. Most people just don't get it & I don't feel like explaining it either...

April 13, 2025
A myPBCteam Member

My wife has been very supportive. Some friends too. Other friends think
looking good must mean I am good.

March 24, 2025
A myPBCteam Member

I hear you my friend. I can be completely exhausted from nothing and my husband will want me to do something for or with him. No!!!! I just want to sleep. Try to have a good day and keep that pretty smile of yours

April 14, 2025
A myPBCteam Member

They really don't understand it. The pain and fatigue is ruining my life

March 27, 2025

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In